Referral Banners

Tuesday 14 May 2013

I Have Nothing Against P-Square – May D

A graduate of Mass Communication from the University of Lagos (Unilag), May D released his first singles.
‘’Cool Temper’’ and ‘’Soundtrack’ in 2011 to an appreciative level of positive reviews from the industry insiders
Later that year, he featured on Psquare`s Invasion Album, collaborating on ‘Chop My Money’ which also featured Akon on the remix and on ‘Do as I Do’ which also had
Tiwa Savage on it.
In early 2012, he released his second singles ‘Ile Ijo’, ‘Gat Me High’, and ‘You Want 2 Know Me’, which featured PSquare.
In February 2013, he released ‘So Many Tinz’, which is the official last single before the release of his album.
In this interview with DailyPost, May D speaks about his entire career; how he started, and the journey so far. He also speaks about his Meiden Album launch which holds on May 26, at the ThisDay Dome , Abuja. The event is organized by Abuja number one event Manager, Kehinde Adegbite, Mr. Yankee. His relationship with the Square record is briefly exposed here.
EXCERPTS
The beginning I started as a dancer, with the same name; May D. May D is actually from the name, Mayokun Dumila – May D. There is this usual hurdle associated with any new venture one embarks on. We all went through the same hustle, and we still “dey try”
I started out as a dancer in my secondary school, Kings’ College, Lagos. When I got into the University, Unilag, I started music professionally and even though it was tough because I was in a group facing different challenges, I persevered. There were ups and downs , but after several years, things took shape and here I am today, by God’s grace.
Inspiration
I take everything around me as a source of inspiration in making music. Life is art, and if you know life, you can make several lyrics out of it. Everything seen, touched, and taste should inspire one. I’m always inspired by what I see.
The walk, the dance
Those majestic and flexible walk in most of my videos, especially the twisting of fingers and the leg dance were all learnt in the past, while I was doing dance. Like I said, I started out as a dancer back in my secondary school days, and with all humility, I’ll say I was pretty good at it. So, in a way, that’s just me bringing to the fore what I have always been good at doing.
Music
I will categorize my type of music as pop/R&b. At the moment, I have a number of singles. I had my first singles, ‘’Cool Temper’’ and ‘’Soundtrack’ in 2011 to an appreciative level of positive reviews from the industry insiders.
Later that year, I featured on Psquare`s Invasion Album, collaborating on ‘Chop My Money’ which also featured Akon in the remix and on ‘Do as I Do which also had Tiwa Savage on it.
In early 2012, I released my second singles ‘Ile Ijo’, ‘Gat Me High’, and ‘You Want 2 Know Me’, which featured PSquare.
In October 2012, I started my own label, Confam Entertainment and subsequently released ‘Use Me’ and the video for ‘Gat Me High’ to rave reviews.
In February 2013, I released ‘So Many Tinz’, which is the official last single before the release of my album.
Square records
My relationship with Peter and Paul is still very cordial. We owe nothing against each other. It was only time for me to just be on my own. I saw that it was time to begin to direct my own ship; aside that, nothing personal.
The Industry
The industry is very big at the moment, and highly competitive. One has to be above board by churning out creative stuff to measure up to standard. I have just started, and we have to just take it to another level.
Abuja Album Launch
The Abuja Album Launch will be my maiden album concert and we plan to give Abuja a night to remember. I expect the people of Abuja to show the usual love they have always shown towards me. It’s my second home -you know. The official launch holds on May 26 at the Thisday Dome, Abuja. I just expect the usual love from Abuja people. I shall be having other big names in the industry performing with me. 2Face, Davido, Iyanya, Olamide,K-Switch, Reminisce, Gandoki, Klint Da drunk, Emma Nyra and a host of others will join me at the concert.
Advice
My advice is directed to all aspiring musicians. They should understand that life is practically an Ecosystem. To survive, you must keep struggling. Keep doing your thing until it’s your time. You can do it. It’s your dream and no one else’s. Keep the positive dreams glowing and work towards it. Don’t sit down there, thinking that your dream will come to you; you can only go to your dream. If May D, Iyanya, 2Face and others can make it, then you have no doubt. All the best.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Referral Banners