Referral Banners

Saturday 6 April 2013

Quit now, Nwosu tells Yobo

Joseph Yobo in actionFormer Nigeria midfield star Henry Nwosu has called on Super Eagles captain Joseph Yobo to quit international football to concentrate on his club career.
Nwosu, who spoke to our correspondent on the telephone during the week, said he was disturbed by Yobo’s media attack on coach Stephen Keshi for not informing about his exclusion from the  squad for the March 23  World Cup qualifying game against Kenya in Calabar.
And Keshi explained that  he left out the versatile  Turkey-based defender from the squad because he decided to stick with Godfrey Oboabona and Kenneth Omeruo, who distinguished  themselves in the central defence during the 2013 Africa Cup of Nations won by Nigeria  in South  Africa.

Keshi again left Yobo out of his 30-man list for the World Cup qualifiers and the Confederations Cup in Brazil in June on Thursday.
“I did not inform him that he would not be in the game against Kenya because I knew I was not going to take him and we were in South Africa together and I explained to him so there was no point calling him,” Keshi was quoted as saying.
“I’m trying to protect him from being embarrassed, he is my captain and Nigeria’s captain and I don’t think it would be proper for me to bring Yobo down here against Kenya and leave him on the bench.”
  Nwosu, who backed Keshi’s decision, insisted that Yobo was wrong to criticise his coach in the media.
“Yobo is one of the players I respect a lot but I’m disappointed in him,” the former Eagles captain said.
“We saw what he played at the Africa Cup of Nations and I think he needs to take   a rest from the national team. He has given his best for the Eagles and he should quit when the ovation is loudest.
“Yobo was not the only player that played at the Africa Cup of Nations that was dropped by the coach.
“Others (Nosa Igiebor, Ike Uche and Juwon Oshaniwa) didn’t go on air to condemn the coach. Why Yobo?
“The coach has the right to invite or drop any player without explanation. He (Yobo) should respect the coach’s decision. If he feels strongly about Keshi’s decision, the best thing to do is to call him and ask for explanation, and not going on air.
“When Clemens Westerhof didn’t invite Keshi, who was the national team captain,  for some of his matches, he (Keshi) didn’t go on air. The same thing happened me. I was not invited for some matches, despite I was the captain and I didn’t attack anyone.”
The Nigeria ’80 Africa Cup of Nations winner  dismissed Yobo’s claim that one of Keshi’s  assistants  is intimidated by his achievements with the national team.
“ I don’t believe any of the coaches is jealous of his achievements,” he said.
“Is it Sylvanus Okpala or Daniel Amokachi? Both of them have won the Africa Cup of Nations and were great players in their days.”

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Referral Banners